Last week I received a request to let my readers know about AbbVie’s Rheumatology Scholarship. To be honest, I’ve struggled with this. My daughter was already working on the application. She has a better shot at a scholarship that has few applicants than if there are zillions of applicants. Do I really want everyone to know about this opportunity? Since you’re reading this post, you realize that I decided to go ahead and help spread the news.
There are fifteen $15,000 scholarships available to students seeking degrees from either college or trade school. To be eligible, the student’s doctor must confirm diagnosis of either RA, JIA, PsA, or AS. More details can be found in the message AbbVie sent:
Did you know students living with a rheumatologic disease like rheumatoid arthritis (RA) or juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA) face unique challenges as they pursue their higher education goals? These students have a higher prevalence of short-term school absences when experiencing symptoms. According to one study, over 90% of students with rheumatologic disease seeking treatment at a rheumatology center reported missing school an average of 3.9 days during a two month period compared to the national average of 1.1 days.1
AbbVie recently launched the AbbVie Rheumatology Scholarship, which is designed to provide financial support for exceptional students living with RA, JIA, psoriatic arthritis (PsA) or ankylosing spondylitis (AS), as they pursue their higher education goals. Our hope is that this scholarship will further empower patients to reach their educational goals.
Below is a brief overview of the scholarship for your reference.
AbbVie Rheumatology Scholarship Overview
- The scholarship is available to students living with RA, JIA, PsA or AS, who are seeking an undergraduate or graduate degree from an accredited United States (U.S.) university/college or trade school, and who plan to enroll for the 2016-2017 school year.
- Fifteen Rheumatology Scholars will be selected. The award value will be $15,000 for each recipient.
- Applicants will be judged based on academic excellence, community involvement, written response to an essay question and ability to serve as a positive role model for the rheumatology community.
- Key dates and deadlines include:
- Applications are available on RheumScholarship.com.
- Applications must be submitted by April 4, 2016.
- Winners will be notified by April 29, 2016.
- More information on the AbbVie Rheumatology Scholarship, the application process and eligibility criteria can be found at RheumScholarship.com.